Wednesday, July 31, 2013

baked hawaiian ham sandwiches

Oh my GOSH, these were good! I just... oh my. Just savory and sweet, just a little tiny bit spicy and soooo delicious. Thank you, Navy Wife. Thank you.
Remember that massive ham I bought a few weeks ago? I sliced it in half when I brought it home from the grocery and threw half of it in the freezer. That way, we weren't eating ham for a week straight. So, almost 2 weeks later, I pulled it out of the freezer to thaw and I'm using it for this recipe, and in a day or 2 I'm going to be making a Hawaiian pizza, which is my favorite.
I sliced the ham fairly thin. Keep in mind, you can use regular deli ham (which is what the original recipe calls for) but I just happened to have this ham already.
Here's what you need for the sauce. Well, this picture is missing the dijon mustard and an additional 1/2 stick of butter. The only real thing that I deviated from the original recipe is that I added a tablespoon of whole grain mustard and used 2 tablespoons of dijon, rather than all dijon.
Melty, melty butter starts this all off.
Sliced onions, poppy seeds, both kinds of mustard, worchestershire sauce and a tiny bit of salt and pepper. Let this simmer for about 5 minutes or so.
While the sauce is goin', work on the buns. King's Hawaiian is the way to go. These little puppies come in a package and they are all stuck together, barely divided. When you remove it from the package, tilt the entire sheet of rolls on it's side and slice it right in half.
Just like that! Place the bottom half in a baking pan (9x13) that's been well greased. Now, it's time for part of that sauce.
Spread about 1/3 of the onion sauce all over the bottom sheet of rolls.
Top that with your sliced ham.
Okay, now the swiss cheese.
Finally, the other half of the buns.
Here's where things go a little crazy! Top those sandwiches with the reserved onion sauce. Yes. All over the sandwiches. Cover, then into the oven for about 15 minutes.
Uncover, and here they are. Again, I pulled out my trust pizza cutter to split theses guys up before devouring. Although, maybe just a fork and a knife and the entire pan would have been fine.
Baked Hawaiian Ham Sandwiches
Aw yea, Navy Wife!
1 12 pack King's Hawaiian Dinner Rolls
1 lb. deli ham, thinly shaved
1/4 lb Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 Tablespoon whole grain mustard
2 Tablespoons dijon mustard
1 1/2 teaspoon worchestershire sauce
3 teaspoons poppy seeds
Salt and pepper
1 medium onion, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a small sauce pan. When fully melted, add in chopped onion, both mustards, worchestershire sauce and poppy seeds as well as salt and pepper to taste. Let this simmer for several minutes. Meanwhile, slice the package of dinner rolls completely in half. Place bottom half of rolls into a 9 by 13 baking dish that have been greased. Top bottom half of rolls with about 1/3 of the onion sauce. Layer with ham, cheese and other half of rolls. Top with remaining onion sauce. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. Uncover and slice to separate. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment