Friday, July 26, 2013

caprese grilled chicken

Could this BE any more summery? Sorry, I'm just channeling my inner Chandler Bing. Grilled chicken is totally my thing and I could probably eat chicken and rice every day of my life. Ed, however, needs more variety. He can't even eat leftovers more than a day in a row. So, whenever I can find a simple way to doctor up a plain old chicken breast, I jump all over it.
This is the cast of players. I would normally use the basil from my garden but it is HOT in Savannah, and my basil is totally wilted. I had to break down and buy some basil at the grocery.
Rub some roasted garlic all over the outside of the chicken- or you can use garlic powder if you want. Roasted garlic is better.
Lots and lots of salt and pepper on the outside and then to the grill. Cook until nice and brown on the outside and at least 165 degrees on the inside. While the chicken is cooking, slice up the tomato and mozz.
Slice the tomatoes to about 1/2 inch thick.
Same deal with the mozzarella.
Bring in the chicken!
Top the still hot chicken with the mozzarella and tomato and cover for about 5 minutes to let the chicken rest.
After the chicken has rested drizzle with olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Then, some basil that's been cut into a chiffonade- little strips. Note: You can always use some balsamic vinegar as well, but I like just the olive oil!
Caprese Grilled Chicken
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
8 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/2 inch thick
1 large beefsteak tomato, slice 1/2 inch thick
6 basil leaves, cut into strips
1 clove roasted garlic
Salt and pepper
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar, optional

Preheat a grill to medium heat. Season each chicken breast by rubbing with the roasted garlic clove, and then liberally sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill each seasoned chicken breast until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees and juices run clear. Immediately top hot chicken with sliced mozzarella and tomato. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Drizzle each breast with olive oil and the optional balsamic vinegar as well as additional salt and pepper. Top with sliced basil and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment