Friday, June 14, 2013

steak roll ups

This is a lot easier than it looks. Stuffed full of veggies and good stuff, this is a pretty tasty and hearty way to make a cheaper cut of meat taste a little better.
We don't eat a whole lot of red meat in this house- in fact, almost every time we had ground meat, I use ground turkey. Ed has qualms about this and occasionally "belly aches" that he needs red meat in his diet. This one is wrapped around veggies, so I get what I want, he gets what he wants.
I just julienned some carrots, yellow peppers and an onion, but you can use zucchini, green peppers or red, turnips, squash, any thing you really want.
You only want to cook these in the pan long enough to give them just a touch of color and to soften them a tiny bit. They will only cook marginally more in the pan with the meat, but you don't want them mushy.
I will say that you do NOT have to use a marinade. But, seriously, I love this stuff. It's from my all time favorite grocery store, Wegmans, which there are NONE of in Georgia. So, my Mom sends these little bottles of yumminess down to me every so often. I chose to use this marinade in lieu of something like a balsamic vinegar, seasoning or barbecue sauce. Use what you'd like, even a different marinade, or something of your own concoction. The whole purpose is to sneak in the veggies to the meat.
I used cut off kebab skewers to keep mine closed because for the life of me, I can't find my toothpicks. They seem to be M.I.A. So, I would advise using a toothpick and not the gigantic kebab skewers I used.
 Pan grill! To not attempt to outdoor, open grate grill these. It could be bad news bears.
Baste with your marinade as you go- making sure to coat these puppies with sauce. And then all that's left is to devour.

Steak Roll Ups
I first saw you on Recipe Sweet, yum!
6-10 sliced sirloin steaks, cut thin
1 medium onion, sliced into thin strips
3 carrots, sliced into thin strips
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
3 cloves minced garlic
Salt and pepper, to taste
Your favorite marinate or barbecue sauce
2 Tablespoons olive oil

Preheat olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Saute the vegetables in the olive oil for a minute or two to soften and color only slightly. Remove immediately from heat. Add an additional tablespoon of oil to the pan and bring up to medium heat as well. Lay each slice of sirloin onto a working surface and lay a small amount of the vegetables in a line in the center. Cross the ends of the meat over each other and secure using a toothpick so that the vegetables are hanging out on either end of the meat roll. Place each roll in the pan and sear on either side. After a side has seared, coat that side with marinate or barbecue sauce and allow to coat. Remove from heat after no longer pink, around 3 minutes on either side, and each roll is totally covered in sauce. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment