Wednesday, June 19, 2013

french onion pasta

This image cannot possibly describe how delicious this was, and how tasty the sauce was! For having no meat whatsoever, Ed barely complained. That is, until I mentioned it was meat free. I won't say that it was vegetarian because it does use beef broth and bullion, but no actual meat. You will love this!
Cook your pasta according to the package- that's a no brainer.
This is important- I love onion. And I love garlic and I love eating big old chunks of it, but you need to make sure that these onions and garlic are minced as much as possible. Use a food chopper or processor if you have one.
Cook these onions just a little bit, just until they are soft and fragrant.
This ingredient is something that I have never used before. Any time I needed to use Marsala wine, I just used a red wine, but I took the plunge and bought this and I am SO glad that I did. It really added a depth of flavor.
Add the Marsala and let it reduce for just a bit.
The original recipe I found called for an onion soup package, but I found another recipe for homemade onion soup packages and I used that. Much better and nothing artificial.
Add this in and let it blend.
And then the stock! Let this reduce for 20 minutes and add in the flour and cream to make it creamy and thick.
Add in your cooked noodles and stir, stir, stir. The only thing left is to top with mozzarella cheese and parmesan. And of course, to devour as quickly as possible.
French Onion Pasta
Pasta recipe found at Stephanie Cooks!
Onion Soup Package replacement found at Food.com!
2 cups uncooked ziti pasta
2 cups beef broth
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, finely minced
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 beef bullion
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon parsley flakes
1/8 teaspoon celery salt
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup Marsala wine
1/4 cup half and half, room temperature
1 Tablespoon flour
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to package. Drain, set aside and keep warm. In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat and add in onion and garlic. Cook until fragrant and soft. Pour in Marsala wine and cook for 5 minutes to reduce. Meanwhile, combine together bullion, onion powder, parsley, celery salt, paprika and pepper in a small bowl. Add this seasoning mix to the pan and pour in beef broth. Allow this to reduce for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Whisk in the flour and very slowly drizzle in half and half, whisking constantly to avoid curdling. Turn heat back up to medium high. Add cooked pasta to the sauce and stir well allowing pasta to heat back through and become completely coated with sauce. Top hot pasta with shredded mozzarella and paremsan and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. My family would love this. I love one-bowl pasta dinners. Sounds very flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was reaaaaly good. And we had plenty of leftovers and they were even better than day 1!

      Delete