Wednesday, June 12, 2013

french bread pizza

Super simple! And quicker and cheaper than the boxed frozen stuff (which Ed and I secretly love).
I used one large loaf of French bread that I cut the ends off of- this is totally unnecessary, but I had let my bread sit on the counter for just a day too long and my ends were hard. Don't do this.
Any old pizza sauce will do just fine- you can even use regular tomato sauce or pasta sauce and just add extra basil or Italian seasoning. Don't feel the need to make sauce from scratch. This is supposed to be quick and easy.
Now let me be clear about this- you will want A LOT of cheese. At least 2 cups worth of shredded mozzarella or Italian mix. And, I chose to use a high quality pepperoni that I cut myself, but the packed stuff is totally cool.
See what I mean when I say A LOT of cheese? I wasn't kidding.
Yea, and a lot of pepperoni as well. I make no excuses for this.
These do roll a little from side to side as you move them around, so just be careful when popping in and pulling out of the oven. You don't want to loose one of these babies! I guess you could always cut a small amount of the bottom portion off to give you a flat surface, but I live for the danger. These freeze really well, so what I suggest is if you want to eat these later, you can make a whole bunch. Just don't cook them all the way. Cook them until the cheese is just starting to melt but that it's clumped together. Pull from the oven, remove from the cooking tray and let them cool. Store in ziplock freezer bags until time to devour.
French Bread Pizza
1 loaf French Bread, sliced in half and quartered
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
4 oz. pepperoni
1 cup pizza sauce

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place quartered and sliced French bread pieces onto a cooking tray or pizza pan. Coat each section with 1 quarter cup of pizza sauce. Top each with 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella and pepperoni. Cook in oven for 8-12 minutes or until top is brown and crispy and cheese is melted. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love the frozen ones too. ;-) I'm sure these are better though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seriously takes about 5 minutes to make these and less than 20 to bake. SOOOO much faster than the frozen kind!

    ReplyDelete