Saturday, April 20, 2013

paula deen crock pot roast

File this recipe under "don't knock it until you try it". Paula Deen (for good reasons) has got a lot of flack lately, and living in Savannah, I hear the horror stories of working for her, the complaints from guests at her restaurant and the grumbles from other shop owners in the city who have to compete with her celebrity. But she can't be all bad. I've met her before, right after she got a new puppy, and she was quiet and trying to blend in.
I've been trying to do more crock pot things since some nights I don't get home until 8 o'clock. This one is fairly simple, and pot roast meat was one sale at Publix- even better!
I switched about Paula's original recipe so that I could do it in the crock pot. Her version is just in the oven, but I don't really have 4 hours to prep, cook and rest. Who does?
I also stir in some cornstarch to thicken up the broth. Not quite a gravy, but not as thin as as the drippings are right after being cooked.
Paula Deen Crock Pot Roast
Adapted from her original recipe found here!
1 3-4 lb pot roast
1 teaspoon butcher's seasoning, or montreal seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup thinly sliced onions
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1 10 oz. can cream of mushroom
2 Tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 beef bullion
3/4 cup warm water
2 Tablespoons cornstarch

Place pot roast into a crock pot and sprinkle butcher's seasonings, salt, pepper, garlic and bay leaves over meat. Top with onions. In a small bowl, dissolve bullion into warm water. Mix in cream of mushroom soup and worcestershire sauce. Pour over meat and onions in crock pot. Cook on low heat for 6 hours. Using about 1/2 cup of the cooked drippings, mix in cornstarch and add back into crock pot. Allow to cook for an additional 1/2 hour to thicken. Serve with potatoes and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love this recipe! I had no idea that people were complaining about Paula. :-o

    ReplyDelete