Thursday, April 11, 2013

feta shrimp bake

I'm a nut for cheese. I mean, I'll go out of my way to eat cheese- or to put cheese on things that normally are cheese-less. I'll ask to go to specific restaurants because I know they have cheese that I like (shameless plug, Green Truck and their Pimento Cheese). When we're at a place that hand grates cheese onto pasta, I don't want to tell them to stop! I can't help myself. So, this is about the cheesiest shrimp bake you will ever find, and there's no shame in that.
This is really simple, although it looks fancy(ish) at the end. It's really just a can of diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup chicken stock, garlic, onion and Greek seasoning. Well, and shrimp and feta.
Simmer the tomato and onion mixture for a little while to develop the flavors, and only add the shrimp just before serving. Shrimp goes tough so quickly.
This is parsley from my potted garden!! First few sprigs I've snipped so far :)
Pour into oven safe bowls, or even into a shallow casserole (if you don't mind family style) and top with as much cheese as you can handle, olive oil and more Greek seasoning. Broil until bubbly!
I served ours with toasted pieces of bread that had been brushed with olive oil.... so good!
Feta Shrimp Bake
1 lb peeled, deveined shrimp
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1/2 - 1 cup chicken stock
1/2 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
Greek Seasoning Mix, to taste
Salt and Pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 oz. feta cheese
2-3 sprigs fresh parsley, minced (optional)

In a large saucepan, saute onions in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until soft. Add tomatoes, garlic, chicken stock, Greek seasoning and salt and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes to develop flavors. Add additional chicken stock if needed. Taste frequently and adjust seasonings accordingly. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add shrimp and cook until no longer pink. Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Pour into oven safe bowls, and top with crumbled feta, the remaining olive oil and additional Greek seasoning. Cook in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until bubbly. Serve with toasted bread. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment