Tuesday, April 23, 2013

crock pot mac & cheese

I have had a bloody sore throat for weeks now. Two weeks to be exact, and nothing has made me feel better. Finally went to the doctor today and was told I may have strep throat. Nice. Well, when one is sick, you want comfort food. Easy comfort food. Nothing is more comforting than pasta and cheese. This is even a crock pot version of mac and cheese, so it's even easier.
This recipe has only 8 ingredients, 3 of which are spices. I mean, it's not more complicated than mixing together and leave it alone. That's it.
I use a combo of both sharp and mild cheese, and oodles of it. About 2 whole cups.
I like to use leftover dried noodles to make my mac and cheese, because I always seem to have extra shells and other kinds. This time I used ditalini and small shells to make mine. Pop that crock pot on low and 3-4 hours later, you have delicious mac and cheese. If you like the crispy edges that come from cooking the mac and cheese in the oven, try to disturb the pasta as little as possible as it cooks. If you like it more creamy then stir at the 3 hour mark and see how if the custard has set up. Either way, it's delish.
Crock Pot Mac and Cheese
Adapted from Tip Garden!
2 cups uncooked dried elbow macaroni
1 1/2 - 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 egg
2 cups skim milk
1 12 oz. can evaporate milk
1 teaspoon paprika
Salt and pepper, to taste

Spray the bottom of the crock pot liberally with cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix together skim milk, evaporate milk, the egg and seasonings. Pour into the crock pot and combine with dried noodles and cheese. Mix thoroughly. Put lid on crock pot and cook on low heat for 3-4 hours until custard is set. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment