Monday, April 1, 2013

blacked tilapia

Tomorrow I will be posting the pork meal that Ed and I had for Easter, but today, I'm posting the second to last meal we had in March- blackend tilapia! This is my favorite way to eat fish; spicy and buttery at the same time!
You can use any fish you want for blackening, but tilapia is our favorite fish. It's flaky and sweet and takes the flavor of whatever spice you add to it very well.
What can I say? I love a mason jar for mixing my sauces and spices now! Everything just mixes together so nicely!
Don't be afraid of the amount of spice you see above- the main ingredient in this blackening spice is paprika, so it's dark red but not overly spicy. I always drizzle melted butter over my fish after the spice has been rubbed in, to caramelize and crustify the top. And, of course, because butter makes it taste better!
 I have a fear of slimy fish, so I always cook mine a little too much- but I kind of like it that way. The recipe I am posting below is the correct amount of time you should cook the fish.
Blackened Tilapia
3 Tablespoons paprika
1 Tablespoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon black powder
1 teaspoon cayenne powder
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon oregano
1 Tablespoon salt
1 lb fresh tilapia
1 Tablespoon melted butter

Mix the above ingredients together in a bowl or mason jar. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Completely coat both sides of the tilapia with blackening seasoning. Drizzle butter over both fillets in a baking dish. Cook in oven for 15-20 minutes, or until fish is firm and flaky. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment