Monday, May 20, 2013

refrigerator pickles

Ah... pickles. How I love thee. So salty, so tart, so delicious. I've always wanted to make pickles, and this year I planned on growing gerkins in the garden and then going to town. But, I got impatient. My cukes aren't quite large enough, and these puppies were on sale at the grocery store, so I went for it.
Let me start by saying that I HATE bread and butter pickles. I'm a dill kind of girl, and I completely plan on frying a few of these later on. They are the perfect amount of garlic and salt just to be oh so delicious.
I mean, it really couldn't be easier. I somehow thought the entire process would be more consuming, but all you really have to do is slice the pickles (spears or chips), mix together the brine and pop them in an air tight container overnight. That's it!
They'll stay fresh and delish in the fridge for 2-3 weeks, too! So, you don't have to eat them all at once. Although, you can if you want. The below picture is from the next morning!
Refrigerator Pickles
2 lbs gerkins, or kirby cucumbers
2 cups hot water
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
3/4 teaspoon dill seeds
4 teaspoons kosher salt
1/8 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar

In a small bowl, combine together vinegar, salt, sugar, dill seeds, coriander seeds, peppercorns and garlic. Add hot water and stir to completely dissolve salt and sugar. Cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, slice gerkins into chips or spears and place into an airtight container. Pour cooled mixture over cucumbers, coating them completely. If the cucumbers float, place a bowl on top that will keep them submerged. Refrigerate overnight, stirring in the morning. Pickles can be kept in the fridge for 2-3 weeks in the airtight container. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment