Saturday, November 16, 2013

chocolate cake donut mini muffins

So I read this recipe on Buns in My Oven and I wanted one immediately. But, I don't have a donut pan. And I don't need one. I shouldn't have one. It could lead to terrible things. Like, an excess of donuts in my house at all times. So when I was thinking about how to alter this recipe to meet my needs, I thought about making full sized muffins... but then I figured if people saw me eating a gigantic glazed chocolate muffin shaped object they might judge for the worse. People seeing me eat a mini sized glazed chocolate muffin will surely think, "Wow! What a responsible person with such self-restraint." Maybe if I keep telling myself that it'll happen.
These are the liquids. They are really gross looking. Let's move on.
Here are the dry ingredients. Much better looking. We can gaze upon these for a moment. Okay. Let's move on.
The liquids are much more appealing once they have been whisked together, but until the sour cream is cooked, I don't want to think about it being in there. I have this thing about sour cream... meaning I'm biased.
It's going to be a fairly thick batter. But the best part? No mixer. Just a spatula is needed.
Spoon the batter into some greased muffin tins. Full size, mini size or even a donut pan if you have one. I won't judge. Just remember you make need to adjust cooking time.
Here's my trick for even baking when you don't have enough batter for the whole muffin tin. It's not a secret- lots of people do it. WATER in the extra cups keeps everything cooking evenly.
Oh yes. You'll know they are done when you poke the tops and it springs back. Not squishy, springy.
I let my muffin donut concoctions cool in the tin for about 5 minutes, then on a rack until they are completely cool.
The glaze couldn't be simpler, just vanilla, powdered sugar and milk.
Dunk those little babies in and let the excess drip off.
Let them dry out on the wire rack and prepare to eat several.
Chocolate Cake Donut Mini Muffins
Adapted from Buns in my Oven.
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla plus 1 teaspoon, divided
1 egg
6 Tablespoons sour cream
1/4 cup milk plus 6 Tablespoons milk, divided
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a mini muffin tin with cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, combine together flour, sugar, cocoa powder and baking powder. In a small bowl, combine together 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, the egg, sour cream, vegetable oil and 1/4 cup milk. Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir until just combined. Spoon batter into muffin tin and place in preheated oven for 8 minutes, or until tops spring back with a gentle touch. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and let cool completely. Meanwhile, combine together remaining vanilla, milk and powdered sugar. Dunk each cooled muffin in glaze and let excess stream off. Place back on wire rack to let glaze set. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment