Monday, September 16, 2013

kim's classic chili

This is the one meal I always knew when my Mom was cooking, we were going to eat good! Now, my Mom is a good cook, but sometimes she served things my brother, sister and I weren't all that enthusiastic about eating. We always loved here chili. This is her recipe, with a small twist.
I knew I had errands to run, so I turned this into stove top chili into crock pot chili. Not to hard, really the same recipe, just one in the slow cooker the other needs more supervision. I start out with browning some ground turkey for the chili.
Here's the whole run down- Ground turkey, 1/2 a chopped onion, a can of kidney beans that have been drained, 2 minced chipotle peppers, and a LARGE jar of Ragu tomato sauce. Yes, ragu. Also, the spices. The place where I deviate from my mom is that she wouldn't have used ground turkey, or chipotle peppers.
Mixed up in the crock pot on low for 4 hours. Remember, everything is precooked, you're just making the flavors even better.
And here it is, 4 hours later. It is soooo good. Believe me. You'll be glad there are plenty for leftover. I'll be using this chili later this week for chili cheese fries, so stay tuned!
Kim's Classic Chili
1 32 oz. container Ragu pasta sauce
1 lb ground turkey or beef
1 medium onion, diced
1 14 oz. can light red kidney beans, drained
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup chili powder
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon onion powder
2 chipotle peppers in adobo, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
Monterrey jack cheese, shredded

In a saute pan over medium heat, completely brown ground turkey or beef. Transfer ground turkey or beef into a crock pot along with Ragu, onion, kidney beans, garlic, chipotle peppers and spices. Cook on low for 4 hours. Serve cooked chili with cheese and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment