Saturday, March 23, 2013

mayan beef skillet

I've been on a rice kick. Definetly. I think Ed is tired of it. Sorry for him, I have at least 2 more meals planned for the next week that involve rice. I've also been on an ethnic meal kick, as well. Sweet and Sour Chicken, Beef and Broccoli, Paella, and I have others planned.
This is a habanero pepper. Super spicy. The original recipe called for using either 1 or 2, so I opted for 1 because I feared it would be too spicy. Next time, I think I'll use 2. Just remember to wash your hands thoroughly after slicing and mincing.
I cheat and usually buy beef already in strips. I'm lazy. But, you can use flank or strip steak and cut it into strips. If you're feeling ambitious.
After you cook the beef and put it off to the side, don't dump out the excess cooked broth. I just add the oil right to it- that's what you see all crispy in the onions there. I rather like the flavor of the cooked beef broth among the onions.
This is not a recipe for people who don't like tomatoes- like Ed. I've been trying to reform him, however, so I feed him tomatoes. I think they're quite delicious. And he ate most of them.
Mayan Beef Skillet
Original recipe found in Latin Flavor from the Pampered Chef.
1 small onion
1-2 habanero peppers
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 lb boneless beef sirloin steak
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 Tablespoon Adobe seasoning
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups hot cooked white rice

Chop onion and habanero together. Toss steak strips in 2 tablespoons of oil and seasonings and then cook in a skillet over medium heat until cooked through. Remove from skillet and keep warm. Add remaining oil to skillet and saute onions, garlic and habanero until soft and fragrant. Add diced tomato and cook for 5 minutes so flavors incorporate. Stir in steak, cilantro and additional salt. Serve steak mixture over hot rice. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment