Thursday, March 28, 2013

baked corn

This is a legend in our home. Not just Ed and I's home, but the Black Family home. It's a recipe that's been passed down on my father's side of the family and is beloved by all. I usually make mine while whole kernel corn rather than creamed corn, but for the sake of this post, I went old school.
This is the original recipe above, and the one that I use. This cook book contains the recipes that my family uses on a regular basis and the ones that I really wanted when I moved out on my own.
I do use less sugar than what's in the original recipe because I think creamed corn is already really sweet, but that all depends on how sweet you like it.
It's important to coat the pan with butter and to top with butter. Margarine will work as well (if you're into that sort of thing) but don't use cooking spray. It makes it kind of... funny. The texture goes all wonky if you spray the bottom.
As you can see, this turns into almost a corn souffle. And it's delicious. Creamy and buttery, and if you use whole kernel corn instead of creamed corn, it's almost like a corn quiche. Delicious.
Baked Corn
1 can yellow crushed corn or whole kernel corn
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 Tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat eggs and combine with flour, sugar and salt. Mix until smooth. Stir in milk and corn. Pour corn mixture into a buttered casserole dish. Top with pats of butter. Bake in oven for 30 minutes. Stir and continue baking for an additional 20-30 minutes, or until top is brown and toasty and corn mixture is set.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment