Tuesday, March 19, 2013

crock pot beef and broccoli

Ed didn't like this. I don't know why. I loved it. It's one of the first things that I've cooked in a while that he didn't like. Maybe I've been feeding him too much rice lately. I don't care- I love rice. Well, I do care a little so we may take a break for a while.
I love crock pot recipes, because they take so little effort. Pop everything in the pool in the morning and come home to a delicious made meal. It's almost like someone else made it! And the set up of this dish is simple as well.
Everyone gets dumped in the pool at once in the morning- well, except the broccoli. That would over cook. The original recipe claims that you should cook for about 6 hours, but I worked longer than that the day I made this dish; it cooked about 8 hours which is why my beef became shredded rather than in strips.
I also doubled the sauce recipe from the original because I like my Chinese food extra saucy.
Be sure to use the sauce from the crock pot and cornstarch to thicken, not flour and water. It really makes it more flavorful.
Add the broccoli just a few minutes before serving, so defrost and warm but not over cook. Serve over white rice!
Crock Pot Beef and Broccoli
Original recipe can be found at Key Ingredient!
1 lb beef chuck roast, in strips
1 15 oz. can beef stock
1 cup low sodium soy sauce
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons sesame oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 Tablespoons cornstarch
4 Tablespoons sauce from crock pot after being cooked
1 lb bag frozen broccoli
Hot cooked rice

In the bowl section of the crock pot, mix together beef stock, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil and minced garlic. Toss in beef strips until coated. Cook in crock pot for 6 hours on low. Combine cooked sauce and cornstarch in a cup until no lumps and then stir into crock pot to thicken. Toss in frozen broccoli and cook for an additional 30 minutes. Serve over cooked rice. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment